Rising from what was once an obscure little island in New York Harbor and surrounded by the waters of New Jersey is a monument, a copper statue, a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States. Designed by French sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi and built by the builder of the famous Eiffel Tower, Gustave Eiffel, the Statue of Liberty has stood as a reminder of the assurance of freedom and moral integrity that was promised in the founding papers of the United States of America, the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. Barely visible from the ground and half-hidden by Lady Liberty’s robes lies a symbol of independence, a broken chain. And in her right hand is a torch. Held high above the waters of the harbor it has been touted as an international beacon of freedom to all of the people of the world who “yearn to breathe free”. A dedication ceremony was held on the afternoon of October 28, 1886. Presiding over the event was President Grover Cleveland. A parade was held in New York City that drew a crowd with estimates ranging from several hundred thousand to a million. Standing at the base of the statue on Bedloe (now Liberty) Island, President Cleveland spoke declaring that the statue's "stream of light shall pierce the darkness of ignorance and man's oppression until Liberty enlightens the world".